Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Noodle Making and Girl's Night In

Ever without any eggs at hand, Just salt and water, I made some decent noodle a few days before after quite some physical labors on kneading the tough dough. First time I made whole wheat, half half (whole wheat and bread flour), I also made rye + bread flour noodle.
And, even though I told myself I am done with home made noodle as I've decided it's not worth that much hassle and time for so cheaply available better quality fresh noodle to purchase,

the Queen of cheap and improvising needs to consume the unbeatable priced 25lb bread flour, the yummy carrot yogurt soup, together with soup as well as juicing by product of carrots, and more plain yogurt,the taste of fresh noodle is just an irresistible temptation.
I figure I could use plain yogurt and chickpea flour that I need to use up any way to replace egg and I use tons of yogurt. lots of carrot soup as well. Man I couldn't be more wrong, you'd find out in the end.So I take on the noodle again, thinking I am going "green" recycling the food, and, I can use some exercise, 2 birds one stone and 2 happy tummies, as I am having guest for dinner the night. 
So I rolled up my sleeve, took out the small $20 manual pasta machine and get my assemble line going. This dough is relatively easy to handle. (Now I realize it's a sign of trouble). This time I made that much noodle with 2.3-3 hours? great looking noodle. I am proud and thrilled. (took me 4-5 hours last time also my first time to make hard of the quantity) this time, I learn my lesson, going for the fat one linguine, rather than the small spaghetti, which is harder to separate and easy to stick together.
Isn't it pretty? Well, looks could be deceiving. First, the noodle doesn't taste like fresh noodle, I think it's the chickpea flour. 2nd, the very low fat insanely good pulled pork or Kailua pork I made taste so different with the shredded meat stay in the sauce for a few days. The sauce made it too salty and killed the savory pork taste. I tried all different seasoning still have a hard time to bring the taste to what I wanted, I gave up. I had to bring the vegetable pork noodle as I simply took longer time to adjust the taste than the cooking itself. I could not believe I fed the worst noodle I made to my guest, shit. My gracious guest finished all the noodle. That's after some laughing cow cheese, watching my TV cooking show. At least my 2 lovie babies and my super animal lover guest had a wonderful time together.We finish the meal with some Rich French chocolate truffle. I forgot to bring the healthier desert of Chinese ginger cinnamon black date soup. We talked and watched TV and I was moving exercising a little. I am glad we have a good time regardless the freaking noodle mishap.

More lovie baby picture from --
http://2dgoodlife.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-lovie-babies-einstein-n-me.html

http://2dgoodlife.blogspot.com/2010/05/testing.html
If the noodle doesn't taste good same day, it turned totally gooey and inedible after freezing and reheating.  Russ at the first time of his life told me he could not eat the noodle, my food. I could not eat it myself. Freaking A, I need some shrink time to deal with this trauma. Well, the queen of recycling wrapped up the mushy noodle, store it in the freezer and ready to use it as season corn starch or flour as thickening agent. I already prepared to make some curry beef, hahaha, the chickpea flour in the noodle is perfect as Indian use   use chickpea flour to make their curry (Masala) any way and so do I. That's why I purchase quite some chickpea flour as Russ simply loves curry dishes and I love it for the mistake proof dish allow me to so many different left overs and major help to clean up the fridge and, flip out a very healthy delish curry meal at the same time.

So this is the end of my noodle making career, hahaha, no more desire, too much work for nothing. I am debating whether I should get rid of the pasta machine.

Well, I also decided to switch gear to use the carrot soup and carrot fiber to make bread. And so I did. Check out what happened to my Carrot Yogurt Peanut fresh basil with Italian herb Macadamia nut oil.
http://2dgoodlife.blogspot.com/2010/05/carrot-yogurt-peanut-italian-herb-bread.html

No comments:

Post a Comment